Thursday 21 June 2012

When Rich People Say Rich Things

It is good in life to experience new things, even if they leave you feeling conflicted and a little bit dirty. I know this as yesterday I found myself nodding in agreement with David Cameron. Amidst the surfacing of comedian Jimmy Carr's tax avoidance scheme, Cameron was speaking out against the comedian claiming that his actions, although lawful, were morally wrong
Jimmy Carr has apologised for his 'terrible error of judgement' over the K2 tax scheme

"People work hard, they pay their taxes, they save up to go to one of his shows. They buy the tickets. He is taking the money from those tickets and he, as far as I can see, is putting all of that into some very dodgy tax avoiding schemes."

For a moment I was all for our David giving Jimmy Carr what for, he is morally wrong, and it is particularly rich coming from Jimmy Carr who appeared left wing in his criticism of banker's failure to pay their taxes. As I said, I was blinkered for a moment and then I remembered that Gary Barlow was also under the same scrutiny for tax evasion, however Gary Barlow participated in the Conservative election campaign, so is considered one of their own rather than Jimmy Carr. Regarding Gary Barlow's tax evasion, Cameron stated that he had not had the time to look into Gary Barlow's affairs, which have been an issue for far longer than Jimmy Carr's, in which Cameron appeared thoroughly knowledgeable.

I am not defending Jimmy Carr's actions, far from it, I now regret finding him hilarious. I, however, resent David Cameron jumping on the band wagon, claiming what is and what is not morally wrong, as he increases what the poorer pay in tax and decreases what the rich must pay. Yes Carr has been morally wrong, alongside the large number of MPs who spent tax payer's money on a Sky Sports subscriptions (Sky is a luxury in my book). Jimmy Carr's case has only received so much publicity because he is a celebrity, however there must be thousands more cases of these legal tax avoidance schemes along the lines of K2 and Icebreaker LLP. It would be far more lucritive for governing bodies to investigate these wealthy individuals, making large tax returns rather than fannying about taxing hot pasties. 
I want a trouser press like Chris Huhne!

Just to remind everybody, here are some items claimed by MPs on expenses
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/gallery/2009/may/08/labour-mps-expenses#/?picture=347377541&index=0

No comments:

Post a Comment